Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Blog from March 13th- When things seem unfair...

 

 

Luke counts sixteen friends in our circle.  Naomi is missing. We wished her well! Luke writes “Music” on our calendar.

 

T:

We are going to have a different morning this morning. We have finished our alphabet, we have sung a song about it, we have made it beautiful, and now we are going to display it for everyone to enjoy. To do that, we need to get it on a board. My dad is a woodworker. He also has a workshop! My dad made us two of these boards. Aren’t they beautiful? We measured ALL of the letters and they will not fit on just one board. So my dad made two!  Soon, Mr. Morris is going to come in and help us hang our alphabet in the studio.

Andie:

They look like walk the plank.

Griffin:

It looks like a boat.

T:

We took the partner portraits down in our studio because this alphabet will be in its place. When you come back and visit room 103 when you are in 8th grade, you will be able to see the beautiful letters you made when you were 4 and 5 years old!

 

So, friends, we wanted to have an important conversation that doesn’t have anything to do with the alphabet this morning…We thought it was important to talk about something. Do you know what it feels like when something is unfair? What does unfair mean?

Camille:

It means that something is not fun.

Caroline:

Unfair means… I was thinking the same thing too.

Andie:

It means there is Like, Miss Kopp said her sister always finds her Easter basket and that’s not fair.

Cian:

If someone is getting something and you don’t.

Troy:

I know what unfair means. So, my mom bought something for me and Colton will feel sad and that’s unfair.

Griffin:

When I was going on my bike, and I didn’t know how, my brother and sister knew how and that was unfair.

T:

So, maybe it’s not always something you get, but something you do.

Alex:

If you can’t do something.

Daniel:

I was thinking the same thing as Troy.

Ashton:

I know what unfair means. Something hurting you and you don’t know what’s hurting you.

Camille:

I know how to ride a bike better than my sister knows how to ride the tricycle. I already know how to stop the breaks on the hill.

T:

So, sometimes it feels unfair if we have to do something that we don’t want to do. So, think about it. If you are asked something that you don’t want to do, does that feel unfair?

Andie:

Yes. Addy got to sleep downstairs and I didn’t. Well, it’s good news that Joe slept with me for a few minutes.

T:

So, friends, what do we do if we are asked to do something we don’t want to do? How do we handle moments like that? Is there a job that you have that you just really don’t like but you just have to do it? Like… cleaning your room, for example.

Daniel:

My mom made me clean my room one time. T: It didn’t take very long, did it? You maybe didn’t want to do it, but it probably wasn’t all that bad. And it helped your mom!  

Alex:

Get off my iPad. T: So, when your mom and dad say it’s time to get off your iPad, do you do it? Alex: Yeah.

Forest:

So, I asked my momma if she wanted to do a race and she said no I don’t want to do that.

Ashton:

I don’t like cleaning up my room.

T:

What would happen if you never cleaned your room?

Caroline:

I would trip.

Griffin:

It would look like a playroom with a lot of toys.

Ashton:

I would get in time out.

Quinn:

It would look like a trashcan.

Camille:

I have to clean my room almost every day because it’s always a mess. T: Can Sienna clean? Do you have to clean for her sometimes? Camille: Yeah. T: Do you like to do that? Camille: No. T: But you still do it because it’s really helpful to your mom and dad.

Troy:

So, I did not get to play in my room today because I slept in mommy and daddy’s bed.

T:

So, do you know that there are things that grown ups have to do that we don’t want to do. Like, I don’t like cleaning bathrooms. It’s not fun. But, what would happen to the bathroom if I didn’t clean it? There are also parts of being a teacher that maybe we don’t want to do or can sometimes feel unfair. Like, if we have a meeting after school on a sunny day. It might not be something we really want to do, but we still go to the meeting. And guess what? I am probably going to learn something new at the meeting. And it won’t feel so bad after all. If you are at school, you also might have to do things you don’t want to do. Like, lining up to go to music if you really don’t want to go to music that day. But you still go, and afterwards, it won’t feel so bad because you probably will have learned something new! What should you do if you are asked to do something you don’t want to do at school?

Andie:

If someone tells you something to do you have to do it.

Caroline:

For example, if someone didn’t like their job like Griffin… He’s the class manager… I know he likes his job, but if he didn’t, he would still have to do it.

Daniel:

Yesterday was not fair for Teddy because I went to Panera and he didn’t. But, he gets to go today, so now I feel unfair.

T:

Well, sometimes grown ups make that plan to make things feel more fair. Since you got to have a nice lunch with mommy just the two of you yesterday, your mommy made sure that Teddy gets to have that special time today. Like, for teacher choice, if we chose the studio for Ashton and he really wanted to go to blocks, we could tell him that he will be able to choose to play in the blocks after rest time that day. So, we try to make things fair for all of you as well. Sometimes, we have to do things we don’t like to do. And that’s just life. Sometimes things can feel frustrating, but we have to work together to get through those frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment