Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Saturday, December 16, 2023

We Celebrate Caroline!

 Caroline



Committee Members:

Daniel, Nathaniel, Forest and Josephine


The interview:

 

T

Welcome to Caroline’s Celebration Committee!  We have a lot of work to do! 

Caroline:

Do you want to know my favorite one?  The baby picture.

T:

I love that one, too!  Who has an idea for what we can make Caroline?

Daniel:

A princess?

Caroline:

No.

Josephine:

A princess tower?

Caroline:

No.

Forest:

We could make her a parachute!

Caroline:

No.

Nathaniel:

I think a rainbow fish!

Caroline:

No.  I really want a Coral Castle.

T:

What is that?

Caroline:

Basically, it is a castle that has coral and it is a mermaid!  She is from Paw Patrol.

Daniel:

I basically know that! 

Caroline:

She lives in the ocean and has a giant clam in her house!

Forest:

I’ve watched it before.  I remember all of the Paw Patrol names!

T:

Let’s find out some details about what Caroline wants on her castle.

Caroline:

I want gems!  I definitely know I want glitter!

Forest:

We could put on guards to guard the castle!

Josephine:

I think a princess, too!

Nathaniel:

A gateway.  I mean a fence all around the castle.

 

 

Sketches:

 

Daniel's Sketch

Josephine's Sketch

Forest's Sketch

Nathaniel's Sketch

 

Work in progress:

 

While drawing their sketches, committee members share their prior knowledge of Paw Patrol characters.


Forest compares the shape of the bowl to the dome on Coral's castle.



Committee members work together to paint the components of the castle.


Nathaniel finds out how many cups can fit on the top of the castle, and points out that it looks "great" placed on all four corners!

After researching how to make teal paint, Josephine helps to add 2 parts blue.


Forest adds 1 part yellow and begins to mix, delighted that it begins to turn the perfect shade!



Forest watches as Nathaniel paints the platform purple, commenting "you are doing a great job!"



Daniel and Forest use their fine motor skills to carefully paint the purple striped detail to the top of the dome.


Committee members finalize their selections of the shell that will top the castle, and ask Caroline to vote for her favorite.



Josephine uses her fine motor control to cut the clamshell shape.



Nathaniel recognizes each letter as he adds the name of the castle to the clamshell.

Caroline’s Coral Castle!




No comments:

Post a Comment