Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Our Community Book!

  

Alexander counts 16 friends in our circle.  We are missing Gwen, but she will be here shortly after her appointment with the dentist! We sent well wishes to her as she travels to school today. Alexander writes an “NATURE” on our calendar as we have Nature as our special today. Alexander also wrote his name on the 15th as he will be 5 that day! Nathaniel came up and wrote his name on tomorrow’s date, the 12th, as it is his celebration day!

 

T:

 Friends, do you want to know something? We only have one video left to watch. It is Camille’s video! We are going to watch that before we go into our first worktime. My friends, what did you learn about each other? Think about all of the videos we saw. Whether it was Josephine at her concert, Alex making her bows, or Quinn at his class…we learned a lot about our lives outside of school.  

Griffin:

T:

In my video I was trying to do a double front flip, but I couldn’t.

Were you feeling a little nervous? It is okay to feel nervous.

Daniel:

T:

I liked all the videos. I liked Quinn’s. I liked it when he was doing karate.

Ashton, what did you like about the videos of your friends that we watched?

Ashton:

Something cool. I have a flashlight in yummies in my room.

Alex:

I like that everybody’s video was different. T: Why do you think they were different? Alex: Because we are all different!

T:

Is anyone in this classroom exactly the same?

Students:

No!

T:

It is cool to see that we are all so different. We spent so much time on this project because it is important to see that we are different. But it also fun to see what is the same. Did you see someone that had something in their video similar to you?

Griffin:

Me and Quinn are the same height, and we can do front flips and back flips.

T:

Something that I noticed in the videos is that Lila has the same shower curtain in her bathroom as Caroline! And we also have a rainbow rug on our floor. I had that connection with Caroline.

Andie:

I have a rainbow carpet too.

Naomi:

Me too!

Alex:

This is getting crazier and crazier every second.

Andie:

I already know something about my playroom. I already talked to you about this one time. Addie has a unicorn and I have a new puppy stuffy that I got for my birthday. Last birthday.

T:

Did you know that this video project (and the collage project) was so important that we made a book out of it. It is called building community in room 103. What do you see on the front cover of this book? This is your school. Who is on the back cover? You all look so silly.

Students:

Us!

T:

Let’s talk about our book. There is only one word on each page. Find a story spot so you can see closely. This is Luke! There are pictures of Luke in the classroom, and also a picture of his collage project. And what is this?

Camille:

That’s a bar code!

T:

It’s called a QR code. This is the cool part. I am going to use my phone and it will bring up the video of Luke at his house! Isn’t that magical? Ready for the next page? It’s Alex! And guess what? It will show Alex’s video on my phone! *We flipped through all the pages in the community book to see that every student is represented. *

T:

So, friends, this book is called “Building Community.” What do you think that means? Why is it important to have a community in our classroom?

Forest:

Because…

T:

A community is a lot like a family. How are we like a family in our classroom?

Naomi:

There are a lot of people.

Quinn:

Yeah, there are a lot of people.

Caroline:

Because we are all kids.

Griffin:

Miss Kopp and you are the parents.

Andie:

It’s because you guys are like the parents, and we are the kids. There are a lot of kids and 2 teachers.

Daniel:

So, it’s like, you are the 2 moms, and the 2 moms have the kids.

T:

Think about each of you and how the kids and the students are like a family. It’s about how you feel in your heart about everyone in our circle.

Alex:

Because we love each other.

T:

Ding ding ding! We love each other and we support one another. We like to celebrate how each of us are different and each of us are the same. We have a lot in common. But, there are a lot of things about us that are different. So friends, guess what gets to happen with this book. Every single one of you will get to take this home. Each of you will take it home for FOUR days. Today will be the first day someone will be able to take it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment