Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Visiting Kindergarten!

 


Daniel counts sixteen friends in our circle.  Gwen is missing.  We wish her well!  He writes “Music” on our calendar.

 

T:

We have something exciting happening today.  We are going to visit the Kindergarten classrooms.  We will have a chance to visit Junior Kindergarten soon.  Some of you will be going to Kindergarten, and some will be going to Junior Kindergarten.  What are you feeling about going into a new classroom next year?  What will it be like?  Will it be different?  Will it feel the same in Room 103?

Troy:

My mom texted the Old Trail School and they said that in Kindergarten, there are lots of toys there! 

Quinn:

You have to study and do math.  At the end of the year, you have to write four chapter books!

Naomi:

I don’t have to do that.

Alex:

I don’t have to go.  My parents are sending me to Junior Kindergarten. 

Caroline:

I am actually going to be at St. Hilary’s. 

T:

You will still be going to Kindergarten!

Caroline:

They will have one of the games that I love.  A monster game where the monster touches a red bull.  Yeti in my Spaghetti.

Camille:

I am feeling scared.  I don’t want to move somewhere where I feel scared and I don’t want to leave my best friends.  I think it might be kind of cool getting to know what it feels like to be doing to kindergarten.

T:

Feeling a little scared or nervous is okay!  Were you feeling nervous when you were new to Room 103?

Camille:

A little bit!

Griffin:

I was freaked out.

Andie:

I am not scared anymore because I love my teachers.

Caroline:

You will get more used to it.  I’m scared to meet new friends I don’t know.

T:

Some of you were familiar with each other from last year, and many of you made new friends this year. 

Caroline:

I made new friends with Josephine.

T:

It might feel a little scary at first, but you will be okay.  Just like you are right now.  I feel a little nervous at the beginning of each year, too!

Forest:

I wasn’t scared at Kindergarten.  I saw Maren at Kindergarten.

T:

Seeing a familiar face can ease your mind a bit!

Forest:

I saw  Maren and then I wasn’t scared any time.

Griffin:

Are we going to eat lunch in our classrooms?

T:

Great question.  You will still get to go to lunch at the same place.  Before the end of the year, we will have Kindergarten experts come in and answer your questions.  Let’s think about what the classrooms will look like!

Andie:

I think there will be a SMART Board.  I’ve been to the kindergarten room when I was in OTS+ one time.  We will choose Work Time.  Do you mean like on the Sonic?

Daniel:

One time I went to OTS+ when Nicholas was in Kindergarten and we were both in there.  We did things.  That’s when I have been in the Kindergarten classroom.  I don’t know where the Junior Kindergarten is.

T:

What did you notice when you were in there?

Daniel:

I noticed they had a different kitchen.  They had chef stuff.  I remember Teddy was also there.

Troy:

I think that inside the classroom it might be like a SMART Board on.  Right now I think this is going to happen:  we get to go on the big-kid playground!!!!!

Cian:

I think there is going to be a new classroom and it will be different.  Things will be in different places.

Naomi:

Next gymnastics it will be our last week and we will show off everything and we will get medals. 

T:

What are you thinking of Kindergarten?

Naomi:

I’m nervous because we will be around different people.

Alex:

I have a connection with Naomi.  I am a little scared. 

Nathaniel:

We will have more books in the classroom. 

T:

What books do you hope to find?

Nathaniel:

I don’t know!

Griffin:

I want to see a graphic novel.  My brother and sister have them.  They aren’t really reading them.  My sister has a lot.

T:

When we get back from Music, we are going to visit all three Kindergarten classrooms.  We are going to take a look around and see what it looks like!  Please remember, we are going to visit but not touch anything.  The Kindergartners will not be there, but their work will be!  We need to look with our eyes.  We hope this makes you excited about all the things you will do next year! 

Caroline:

I did a tour and I know what will be different.  I will be drawing a huge paper.  I actually saw people paint it.

Camille:

I took a tour of the classroom that I might be in.  I saw some of my friends there.  I know that Cian is going to the same school. 

Troy:

You get fun homework in Kindergarten!

Andie:

When you get home from school and when you are in Kindergarten, you do homework when you get home.  Addy has to do homework and then she goes on the couch and does her book.

 

 

Daniel:

In all three of the classrooms, they had chicks.  Troy saw trucks in all three of the classrooms.

Caroline:

There was a block shelf!!!  The difference, there are little spots where they store things.

Camille:

They had, all of the classrooms, bookshelves and they all had animals.  They weren’t all the same animals as ours.

Andie:

They all had pictures on the bookshelves.  We have pictures!

Quinn:

They also had circle spots!

Troy:

I had a thought about home.  There was a sign under my bed and I saw something like this:  from Old Trail School.  It would say “From Kindergarten- you might want to get a chick!  We might want you to do something special!”  From Mrs. Kristoff’s.

Caroline:

There was a bookshelf!


Click HERE for photos of our visits!


No comments:

Post a Comment