Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

People Blocks and ECP Halloween Parade!

 

 

Cian counts sixteen friends in our circle.  Josephine is missing today.  We wish her well!  He writes “S” on our calendar for Swim.

 

T:

Cian wrote S for Swim. What words also begin with a Sss sound?

Forest:

Snake!

Naomi:

Saturday!

Cian:

Sloane!

Daniel:

Sat.

Naomi:

Snow.

Ashton:

Swim day.

T:

What is Mrs. Rich most afraid of in the whole world?

Students:

Spiders!

T:

I have 2 things to discuss. What is brand new in our classroom?

Gwen:

The children blocks.

T:

Right, we call them people blocks.

Forest:

You can build with them.

Camille:

They have pictures of people on them.

T:

Who is on them?

Griffin:

Quinn.

Naomi:

All of us!

T:

Why do we have blocks with pictures of you on them?

Gwen:

Because you love us.

Cian:

Because you want to see us when we are gone.

T:

You are right. What have you been doing with them so far?

Alexander:

I was building something. A house. For the people.

Troy:

Um, so like I made a bed for everyone to have a sleepover in.

Forest:

I have a spell book at home. It’s a hocus pocus one.

T:

Have you used the people blocks yet?

Forest:

Yes, I played with them.

Gwen:

Some of the blocks were being knocked over.

T:

I like that Gwen brought this up. There is something that shouldn’t happen to the people blocks. Can I do this? *Knocks over blocks*

Naomi:

They will break. Or they might be hard to stack up again.

Griffin:

You would try to catch them if they fall.

T:

Can I do this? *Pretends to fight with different people blocks*

Students:

No!

T:

Friends, when you use materials, we want you to have a purpose. What does that mean?

Gwen:

Building something.

Griffin:

Being kind.

T:

It means you have a plan. You know what you are going to use it for. I am looking at our animals right now, and it seems someone has dumped our animals out of the bin. Did this person who dumped our animals have a plan? If I had a plan, I might plan to build a zoo and choose different animals (one by one) out of the bin to put into my zoo.

T:

Let’s say Luke chooses the blocks for worktime, and he chooses 5 people blocks to play with. If Luke picks Troy’s block, and Troy wants to play with his own block, what should Troy do?

Cian:

Say, can I please use that when you are done?

Daniel

You could take turns.

T:

Friends, the people blocks work like any other blocks in our classroom. Even if it has your picture on it. We will share them! We should have one person, as a classroom job, put all our people blocks back in their place after worktimes. Maybe this can be our studio manager.

T:

Who is excited for tomorrow? Let’s talk about it. How did our classroom change?

Andie:

It’s so spooky!

T:

I want to tell you a little bit about what’s going to happen tomorrow. You are going to come to school in your costumes. You will still pick your lunch, wash your hands, and put your folder away. After you come in and do your jobs, we are going to sit on our circle spots, and then we will go outside for our Halloween parade. Does anyone know what a parade is?

Camille;

Marching! My Nana is coming.

Caroline:

That means you are marching, and someone is going to lead the way.

T:

We have a leader in our class, and our leader is Quinn! Do we have to march?

Naomi:

They don’t have to march if they don’t want to.

T:

Can you run?

Naomi:

No.

T:

There are going to be lots of mommies and daddies and grandparents and aunts and uncles. What are some ways we could make it more fun?

Daniel:

If you don’t want to march, you can walk, and you can smile.

Ashton:

Be happy!

Gwen:

Sometimes, in parades, people march in a circle.

T:

Can you wave to people?

Students:

Yeah!

Troy:

You know what, one time… I am going to talk about it. I thought we were going to sit in seats in a big rig.

T:

What if you pass your mom and dad and you get a little sad? Should you stop?

Naomi:

No.

T:

When we come back inside, we are going to have so much fun. We are going to have a party. We are going to have the best day. Now, let’s share what we are planning on being tomorrow!

Nathaniel:

A ninja. Because it’s from a show that I watch a lot.

Cian:

Ryder. Because I love Paw Patrol.

Alex:

I am going to be a fairy princess. I am going to be a pretty one.

Luke:

A shark. Because they eat fish. Big fish. They close their mouth and then they get another fish.  

Troy:

A ninja. There is a ninja movie that has a huge truck.

Daniel:

A power ranger. Blue. Because Nicholas likes power rangers.

Caroline:

I am going to be ghost spider. It’s my least favorite.

Naomi:

A witch. Because I like witches and Meadow’s going to be one for Halloween.

Andie:

I am going to be Jasmine. And Addie is going to be cowboy Barbie. I watched the video of Jasmine. I am going to bring my magical lamp.

Ashton:

Poison dart frog. It’s so venomous.

Forest:

I am going to be an orca after the giraffe. My mommy is going to buy the orca. Cause their necks are so long.

Camille:

I am going to be an elf. Because I have a show that I really like and there are these two elves from the show and they are actually real. Elfie and Chippy. I watched them on the magic swing.

Alexander:

Spiderman. I have it on my TV.

Griffin:

I am being Toad. Because there is a Mario movie.

Gwen:

I am going to be a witch for Halloween. I have a Charlotte spider and it is going to be with my witch costume.

Quinn:

Spiderman. Because I like spiderman.

T:

I am going to be Mrs. Witch! Why do you think I am going to be Mrs. Witch? What’s my name? Mrs. Rich! It rhymes!

No comments:

Post a Comment