Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Saturday, October 7, 2023

We Celebrate Alexander!

                                            Alexander

Committee Members:

Troy, Camille, Caroline and Naomi

 


 

The interview:

T:

Alexander chose you to be on his Celebration Committee.  What can we ask him to help us find out what he would like us to make?

Caroline:

I don’t know what he loves the most!

T:

How could we find out?

Caroline:

Asking him!  What do you love the most?

Camille:

Do you have any pets?

Alexander:

I have one pet.  It is a dog.

Troy:

Hey Alexander, do you have any toys that are big rigs that carry three-wheel diggers?  Do you have any digger toys?

Alexander:

Yes.

Caroline:

Okay.  Do you have a big truck?  Like a big real truck?

Alexander:

I have so many.

Camille:

Do you have sort of a boat that you like at your house?  I have a big Paw Patrol boat.  I love it.  I have one that is plastic, and one that you made.

Naomi:

I don’t know.

Camille:

Is there any shows you like to watch?

Alexander:

Avengers!  We play that game.

Caroline:

Captain America and Ironman!

Troy:

I just know about all trucks.

Caroline:

I just know about Ariels and Disney.

T:

Alexander, is there a favorite Avengers character?

Alexander:

I like Hulk!  He’s the one.  He’s strong.  He can lift up a building!

T;

Do you want us to make Hulk?

Caroline:

We have to get a lot of green on him!

T:

What else do we need to know about Hulk?

Caroline:

We need to put this symbol (puts out her fist), because he is Hulk Smash.

Troy:

I haven’t watched that movie yet.

Naomi:

I don’t know Hulk.

Camille:

I don’t know Hulk.

Caroline:

He’s green.  He smashes things.

Alexander:

Purple and black.  He can lift up a building!

Caroline:

I think he’s the biggest one.

 

Sketches:

 

Troy

Naomi

Caroline

Camille

Work in progress:

 

Committee members discuss Hulk's attributes while completing their black like sketches.

Caroline, Troy and Naomi hold the two boxes together to see if they are proportional.

Committee members discuss the need to cut the paper towel in half and indicate where the half mark should be.

Committee members work together to paint the boxes to represent Hulk.


Camille notices that Hulk's arm is bent in the photo, and tries to replicate by bending the paper towel roll.

When searching for objects to represent Hulk's hands, Troy points to items that resemble fingers.

Caroline uses her fine motor control to carefully paint details on Hulk's face and body.



Alexander's HULK!


No comments:

Post a Comment