Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Pre-Feast!

 

Camille counts sixteen friends in our circle.  Ashton is missing, but he will be here soon!  We wish him well while he is at the dentist.  She writes an “N” on our calendar for Nature.

 

T:

Before we have our conversation, I want to do a little experiment with you. What is this? Cian’s mommy brought it in!

Griffin:

The stuff you put on pancakes.

Forest:

Milk.

Naomi:

Coffee milk!

Andie:

Chocolate milk!

Daniel:

I have 2 guesses. Chocolate milk and whipped cream.

Caroline:

I guess that it’s probably milkish creamish.

Gwen:

Chocolate.

Alex:

I think it’s whipped cream.

Camille:

Plain cow milk.

T:

We are going to put this in this jar. The jars that Josephine’s mommy brought! We are going to shake it with all of our might. It is going to turn into something.

Forest:

I think it’s going to turn into a strawberry.

Troy:

I think it might turn into raspberries mixed with orange juice with cereal and pop tarts and all sorts of yummies.

Caroline:

I think it’s going to turn into whipped cream.

 

 

Daniel:

Whipped cream!

Luke:

Strawberries!

T:

I am going to open it, and pour it in this jar. Does it look like milk? I am going to put the lid on it really tight and start shaking it with all my might!

Forest:

You have to put salt in it!

T:

You are right, Forest, I almost forgot! Salt is a very important part. We are all going to have a turn to shake this. We are going to shake it like this, right in front of our bellies.

T:

Do you think this is going to turn into strawberries and raspberries after we shake it? We are going to be eating our soup before we go to nature. We are going to eat our soup in a bowl, and we are going to use our placemats. Let’s talk about manners at the table…What are manners?

Gwen:

If you don’t want something, say no thank you.

T:

Right, sometimes you have food that’s not familiar to you. No thank you is a polite thing to say.

Camille:

If there is something that you want that is not on your plate, you say “May I please have that?”

Troy:

We cut so much food. We are having heart cupcakes.

T:

What did we cut up yesterday, Troy?

Troy:

An onion.

Naomi:

Pears.

T:

It kind of looked like a pear. It was something else that starts with a P…

Naomi:

A potato.

Griffin:

Carrots.

Nathaniel:

Celery.

T:

If there is something in the soup that you don’t like, what do you do? You will all have a spoon, and you can find things that you like. Or, you can even just eat the liquid in the soup. What else do we need to remember at the table? What should our bodies be doing? Think about… if you are sitting down at the nice Thanksgiving table, with your grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles.

Forest:

Eating and drinking.

Andie:

You should be behaving.

T:

If you have to behave at the table, what does that mean?

Andie:

You have to be good. Not like throwing a fit.

Camille:

You are not like, yelling “I don’t want that!”

Gwen:

If you are sitting next to your mom or your dad you still have to do the right thing.

T:

What’s the right thing?

Gwen:

Sitting down and not doing anything else.

Caroline:

The most important thing to do at Thanksgiving is you have to pray to God.

T:

You are right, sometimes we do pray at Thanksgiving. Boys and girls… I am shaking this, and I can’t hear any liquid anymore… should I open it? What does it look like?

Forest:

Ice cream and whipped cream!

Daniel:

I think it turned into white ice cream.

Forest:

I want to eat it.

T:

We will be eating it! Boys and girls, we turned the liquid into butter! For our bread. Isn’t that magical? What else do we need to know about sitting at the table and being “well behaved?”

Camille:

You can’t be screaming because that will distract all the guests at the birthday party.

T:

That is right. Friends, what about eating? What are the things that are on the side of your plate called? One is sharp, one is round, and one has little pokies.

Alexander:

A fork and a spoon.

T:

What do you have to remember about your silverware? When we are eating soup, do we eat with our fingers? No… we eat with our spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment