Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Friday, November 3, 2023

We Celebrate Ashton!

 Ashton



Committee Members:

Quinn, Daniel, Gwen and Cian

 

The interview:

T:

Ashton invited you to be on his committee!  Let’s find out what  Ashton would like us to make him!  Who has an idea?

Cian:

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Ashton:

No, I don’t want ice cream, first of all.  I want a t-rex.

Gwen:

A pumpkin?

Ashton:

No.

Quinn:

A dinosaur!

Ashton:

I love dinosaurs!  Yes.  I want a dinosaur.

Daniel:

A poison dart frog?

Ashton:

I’m a t-rex.

T:

It sounds like Ashton’s mind is made up! 

Ashton:

A dinosaur… guess!

Cian:

A T-rex!

T:

What do we know about a t-rex?

Gwen:

They have sharp teeth.

Quinn:

They have eyes.

Daniel:

They have super sharp teeth and a long tail.  Their tail is pointy.

Cian:

I know about a t-rex.  He got no hair.

T:

What does he have instead?

Cian:

He got scales.

Gwen:

They have sharp toenails on their feet.

 

Sketches:

 

Quinn's Sketch

Cian's Sketch

Gwen's Sketch

Daniel's Sketch

 

Work in progress:

When painting the body, Gwen consults with Ashton to ensure the color was just right.


Gwen and Quinn search for objects to represent the T-Rex's body, being mindful of searching only for the shapes they discussed.

Committee members searched through the stones to find ones that were sharp, to make the teeth look more realistic.

 
Daniel and Quinn hold the popsicle stick next to the toilet paper roll as they discussed the need to make the arms shorter.  

Quinn holds the popsicle stick against the body and decides that they need glued "far back" to make it seem like they were shorter than the legs.

Committee members group matchsticks together to ensure they had three for each arm and leg.  They counted the total sum- 12!

Cian explains that the "medium-sized eyeball" was too small, and encourages his committee members to choose the larger one.

When discussing the T-Rex's nose, committee members refer to a library book to help plan their ideas.

Committee members search through pom-poms to find two that were the same color and size.


Ashton’s T-Rex!



No comments:

Post a Comment