Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another. –Marva Collin

Be a Mystery Reader!

We would love to have you read to our class as a "Mystery Reader." Typically we host Mystery Readers at 8:35. We have a sign-up outside of our classroom, but you are welcome to email us to see if a date is available. The day before you read, please send in three clues about yourself (i.e. I have long hair, I have two children, I am a doctor). Grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. are welcome!

How to Reach Us!

We are happy to address any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via e-mail with questions, concerns or other information at room103@oldtrail.org.

Dismissal

If your child's dismissal plans change for a particular day, please let us know at drop-off or by e-mail. Dismissal for half-day children is at 12:00. If you are delayed or unable to to arrive by 12:10, please pick up your child at the main entrance.

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

What Are You Thankful For?

 

Camille is not here today, so Ashton filled in as the friend counter. He counts fifteen friends in our circle.  Camille and Andie are missing.  We wish them well.  Naomi writes an “S” and an “L” on our calendar for Swim and Library. She also writes “Naomi” on Friday, November 17,th because it is her celebration day!

 

T:

Boys and girls, what did I just scribble through on our calendar?

Alexander:

We have no days of school.

T:

One line of boxes means one week of school. Next week, we will be at home for 9 days! One whole school week. Friends, we are staying home because of this day. This is called Thanksgiving Day. What does that mean?

Griffin:

You eat dinner and you decorate your house and that’s it. And flowers I think.

Quinn:

You give something to the person you care about.

Gwen:

You eat pumpkin pie!

Forest:

So, you have turkeys there and you eat ham.

Naomi:

You spend time with your family, and you eat dinner.

Daniel:

You eat turkey.

Ashton:

You eat yummies. And cake.

Troy:

My dad is going to have a birthday and we are going to eat a boat pie and it is going to be the specialist birthday. You get to eat a whole bunch of pie and a whole bunch of sprinkles on it.

Nathaniel:

Well, you eat food.

Alex:

I think Thanksgiving is the day you eat pumpkin pie.

T:

So, think about that word. There is one word that I do know: Thanks. Being thankful. What does that mean?

Daniel:

It means if you need something you can tell people what you want.

Alexander:

You are grateful.

Quinn:

You give someone a flower or something else.

Alex:

Saying things. Like I love you.

Naomi:

It means that you love someone, and they give you something.

T:

My family writes a message about why we are thankful on Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful for my family, my house, and that I get to be a teacher at Old Trail school. And I am thankful for all of you! I want to know what you are thankful for.

Ashton:

I am thankful for going to a birthday. I am thankful for my birthday.

Naomi:

My family. Cause they are nice.

Caroline:

My lovey. Because she’s so cuddly. T: How does your stuffy make you feel, Caroline? Caroline: I feel cozy.

Daniel:

I am thankful for… my mom open snacks for me.

 

 

Troy:

I am thankful for snacks at home like fruit snacks. My toy trucks.  

Luke:

My trucks at home. They carry cars and some helicopters land on the top of it.

Alex:

I am thankful for bees. Because they make honey. T: I am thankful for bees too. They pollinate flowers!

Cian:

I am thankful for bees too. Because they grow flowers.

Nathaniel:

My brother and baby Jesus. What is the best part about Theo? Nathaniel: He teaches me how to build Legos.

Quinn:

I can do a backflip in the water. T: So, you are thankful for your strong body.

Gwen:

Pumpkin pie. And my friends and family.

Griffin:

I am thankful for… I can do a front flip in my bounce house.

Forest:

Um, I am thankful for… that my mommy and daddy are home, and they keep me safe.

Caroline:

I am thankful for baby Jesus.

Alex:

I am thankful also for my mom and dad.

T:

Awesome! There are so many things that we can be thankful for. Does anyone have any news to share before we head to the library?

Troy:

So, I love my trucks and real tractors and real combines and big rigs.

Gwen:

I am still thinking about pumpkin pie.

Nathaniel:

I have so many Lego sets. T: What’s your favorite one? Nathaniel: My seven bag Ninjago set.

Griffin:

I am glad I have trucks. I have monster trucks. They have big wheels.

Naomi:

I also am thankful for flowers because they smell good.

No comments:

Post a Comment